Our chapter is named after SABR’s late founder, L. Robert Davids, a Washingtonian. Click on his name on the left side of this page and read his very interesting biography.
The Bob Davids Chapter serves more than 500 SABR members in Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, and parts of Pennsylvania, Delaware and West Virginia. Ours is the first, oldest, largest, and most active chapter of SABR, with 27 regular meetings every year in addition to the world-wide convention. This year, 2009, will make the fourth time we have hosted the convention. If we can do anything to make your SABR experience more enjoyable, please don’t hesitate to contact me (email@example.com) or any of our chapter’s officers.
In addition to the research that our members regularly do and meeting where we enjoy each other’s company, we also operate this web site, publish a quarterly newsletter and are involved in a variety of other baseball-related endeavors. There is no obligation to participate in these activities, but member volunteers are the lifeblood of our chapter and we enjoy a reputation as one of SABR’s very best.
Some of our activities include:
- Annual Chapter Meeting: Our meeting this year was Saturday, January 24 in Columbia, Maryland and was attended by a near-standing-room-only crowd and featured the Baltimore Sun beat writer for the Baltimore Orioles, Dan Connolly. Anchoring was our own David Smith founder of www.retrosheet.org with a summary of some of the more unusual questions that have been presented to him by the baseball media. He showed us the research he did before giving his now-famous answers. We have 130 in attendance. You can view some of the presentations on the List of Past Meetings under the CHAPTER INFO tab.
- Additional Regional meetings: We hold two additional large regional meetings each year, usually one at a major league park and one at a minor league park. In 2008, 84 of us gathered to help inaugurate the brand new Nationals Park where, so far, the tremendous fan-friendly features outnumber the home team victories. Our minor league meeting and game for 2009 will feature a visit to a park in its last season before remodeling, Riverside Stadium where we will watch the Harrisburg Senators on August 29.
- The Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles: We are regularly involved in activities with both major league teams in our area as well as a number of minor league teams. Some of our members are even employees of these teams. Among others, the president of the Nationals’ fan club and the official major league scorer at Nationals’ games are chapter members.
- FanFests: We operate a SABR booth and trivia contest at the annual Orioles FanFest, Bowie Baysox Open House, Harrisburg Senators FanFest and Washington Senators NatsFest. Contact: Dave Raglin (firstname.lastname@example.org). For NatsFest, contact Scott Harrison (email@example.com). For Harrisburg FanFest, contact Ted Knorr (PapaBell@aol.com).
- Hot Stove Meetings: We hold monthly, informal, dinner meetings to talk baseball in an informal setting. Chili and chicken wings are usually featured. Contact: Dave Raglin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- SABRDavids: SABRDavids@aol.com is our e-mail distribution service that we use to inform our members of the latest chapter news or other relevant baseball news. This is in addition to electronic communiqués distributed through the national SABR office, so please don’t be offended if you received the same announcement twice, as the SABRDavids announcements also reach non-members.
- Talkin’ Baseball: This book and baseball discussion group was organized by chapter member Dave Paulson. We welcome members and non-members at its monthly sessions. The group convenes the second Saturday of each month in Columbia, Maryland. Contact Dave at (email@example.com ).
- “The Squibber”, the Chapter’s newsletter: We have a very interesting chapter newsletter, The Squibber. Contact editor Walt Cherniak (CherniakJrW@aetna.com). If you would like we can also send you a hard copy.
- National SABR Convention: Many of us attended the 38th annual national convention last summer in Cleveland. These are great events bristling with research presentations, camaraderie, awards, a major league game and a shared love of the national pastime. We are particularly excited about the 2009 convention, because we are the hosts! Click here to register.
- Media relations: We always need help getting the word out about our chapter’s activities. Contact: Mark Pattison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Additional ideas: We’re always interested in your endeavors. If you have an idea or a suggestion, please don’t be shy. Once again, welcome to SABR and to the Bob Davids Chapter. We hope you enjoy being a SABR member as much as we do.
D. Bruce Brown, President email@example.com
Dave Raglin, Vice President firstname.lastname@example.org
Don Seaman, Secretary email@example.com
Dave Paulson, Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org